Sam Newsome

Sam Newsome
"The potential for the saxophone is unlimited." - Steve Lacy



Now available of Bandcamp!

Now available on Bandcamp!

Now available on Bandcamp!

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Downbeat Magazine - Best Albums of 2017 (Sopranoville)

It was nice seeing Sopranoville included in Downbeat's Best Albums of 2017 listing, especially in the "Masterpieces" category. As I've expressed my times, I was very nervous about releasing this CD. I ventured into some new areas musically, and I was concerned it might have gone over folks' heads. But I guess I was wrong. At least it did not go over the right folks' head.

And it reaffirms one of my basic beliefs, which is that you can push your music to the stratosphere with regards to experimentation. But as long as it's musical, people will get it. And again, I stress, the right people.

"The wonder of Newsome is the way he allies geeky experimentalism with controlled musicality." - Downbeat



Full steam ahead!

No comments:

Blank Page Syndrome

Sydney Sheldon's poignant quote, "A blank piece of paper is God's way of showing you how hard it is to be God," deeply res...